The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hama Sushi, Little Tokyo

Buddy convinced me to branch out a bit from my favorite sushi joint, Saito's, so we headed down to Little Tokyo to a place he had been once before. The inside of the tiny restaurant is mostly taken up by a u-shaped sushi bar, manned by two chefs. The waitresses brought us each steaming hot towels and took our drink order and returned with a tall, cold bottle of Sapporo to share. Over the course of the evening we downed albacore, toro (the good one at $10 per order rather than the cheaper version at $5), snapper, hamachi, more hamachi and some miso soup with clams. Did I mention the hamachi? It was the melt-in-your-mouth variety as was the albacore and toro. (It seems you can hardly go wrong with these in most sushi restaurants). The final tab was around $80 plus tip which is about what is to be expected for excellent sushi. Lucky for me I had forgotten my wallet (Oops!). Thanks Buddy. Get you next time?

Hama Sushi
347 E 2nd St
(213) 680-3454

No comments: