The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Galcos Soda Pop Stop, Highland Park

Galco's Soda Pop Stop, Highland Park

Galco is a fantastic shop in an old grocery store on York Blvd that specializes in hard-to-find soda pops from across the country. The store is completely filled with palletes and shelves of obscure colas and pops from across the country. I even spied some Mexican Cokes (made with real sugar, rather than corn syrup like the domestic stuff). I stopped in today and picked up 6 bottles of my family's favorite, Sun-Drop, a carbonated lemon-lime soda bottled in North Carolina which is still only otherwise distributed in little towns in NC, VA and TN. I asked for a recommendation on root beer (they carry around 40 different varieties) and was directed to Red Ribbon Home Brewed Style Root Beer from Natrona, PA. Not overly sweet (also made with real sugar), it was perfect with the Italian sub sandwich I ordered at the deli counter in the back of the store. Galco's also carries a wide selection of beer and some old time candies like Pop Rocks and Nestle 100 Grand bars. You can also pick up old-fashioned seltzer water in the refillable glass squirt containers. There's a $15 deposit on the bottle but I think I may give that I try next time I stop in. I don't know if there's another store like this one in the country so we're lucky to have it right in our backyard. The owner is super friendly and intimately knowledgable about the products he carries too.

Galco's Soda Pop Stop
5702 York Blvd
Highland Park

2 comments:

66 Productions said...

I've been a fan of Galco's for several years, ever since being turned on to them by a friend. The business has been in the family for something like 40 years, but it was just in the last 5-10 that John Nese, the current owner, turned it into Soda Pop Stop. John is a big fan of local history, too, having lived in the Highland Park area for virtually his entire life. He routinely donates to good, local causes, as well.

mjlambie said...

do they have stearts Orange n Cream? it's my fav!