The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

India Sweets & Spices, Atwater Village


One of my favorite places to go within walking distance of my house, India Sweets & Spices offers a vegetarian Indian buffet with Northern and Southern specialties. Typically there are a few vegetable standbys like daal (lentils) and choley (chickpeas) along with specials like squash, eggplant or spinach in some combination or other. Order a combination plate and you'll get your choice of two vegetables, basmati rice, raita, plus a potato samosa, papadam, paratha, some firey hot pickles, and, depending on the combination you choose, a mango lassi to cut the heat. This will cost you six dollars. On other occasions I'll order a masala dosa, which eventually appears on the counter from the kitchen crisp and steaming hot and filled with buttery, spicy potato mixture. Yum.

I've actually never tried the sweets but they look good and the place is always filled with Indians so I assume the chefs know what they're doing. The giant Indian grocery store next door carries all sorts of Indian grocery staples including a nice selection of Cadbury and other British-brand chocolates and confections made for the Indian market. As an added bonus, odds are extremely good that you'll get to enjoy a rousing Bollywood musical on the enourmous flat screen TV in the brightly lit dining room while you eat. And who knows, the smiles on the beaming Indian actors faces may just match your own as you stumble back out onto Los Feliz Blvd delirious on all that ghee.

India Sweets & Spices
3126 Los Feliz Blvd
323 345-0360

2 comments:

:: jozjozjoz :: said...

Jeff,

I've never been to this one, but I have been to the Culver City branch and have a similar opinion. I love the fresh food and really reasonable prices!

Sundry said...

I just ate here yesterday. You're right! It's great. I'm going to link to your commentary.