The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Fish stock

According to Julia Child, all that's required for a fish stock is to buy some fresh scraps and simmer them in lightly salted water for about half and hour. I'd never tried it so the other day while shopping for fish at Fish King in Glendale, I asked for a pound of fish heads and meaty skeletons. I covered the scraps until they were covered with about an inch of water then kept skimming the scum that rose to the top as it all boiled. After 30 minutes I removed the scraps to the trash and passed the liquid through a couple different strainers to remove any other little bits that remained. I used the fish stock in place of vegetable stock in an "Acqua Pazza" tomato sauce I cooked later that night for some grilled seabass.

No comments: