The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Monday, July 03, 2006

La Parrilla, Silver Lake

It took me quite a while to find Mexican food in West LA that I thought was half-way decent. So I was thrilled to find La Parrilla a few years ago, not least for the homemade guacamole that, if you're lucky, will be made on a cart right at your table. If not, it's still made to order and pairs well with the fresh tortillas and grilled meats that are the restaurant's specialty. On my most recent visit it was scorching hot outside so something light was in order. Buddy and I dug our chips into a big bowl of the fresh guac and I ordered some fish ceviche. Turns out they were out of the fish on this day so I opted for the shrimp ceviche instead. The waiter returned with an enormous dish of diced shrimp mixed with fresh tomato and onion served on a bed of shredded lettuce. Fresh leaves of lettuce were sticking up from the platter providing a green backdrop to the ceviche and crisp tostadas that sat at the side. I've had the fish ceviche at La Parrilla before and think I prefer it to the shrimp variety. But it was light and not a bad snack at all on a languid afternoon, especially when piled on a tostada with some of the piquant fresh pico de gallo and guacamole.

Buddy had the shrimp fajitas which he seemed to enjoy. Even though it was mid-afternoon, the mariachi with the Elvis-style pompadour was already working the room with his sidekick. For $6 the duo sang a rousing version of the classic "El Rey" and it was worth the money just to see Buddy fidget uncomfortably while they serenaded us. Our bowl of guacamole now empty, we stumbled back out into the blinding light of day and the cars whizzing by on Sunset fully satisfied with our meal.

La Parrilla
3129 W Sunset Blvd (Silver Lake Blvd)
323 661-8055

1 comment:

mjlambie said...

jeff! i remember our La Parilla event. so good. i always go back for the guac cart. it is my fav!