The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Olives, New York

It wasn't my idea to have lunch at Olives in the W Hotel on Union Square. It was pouring rain and I was drenched by the time we got there, but it turned out to be well worth it. I had the special three-course Greenmarket menu from which I selected minestrone soup (easily one of the best I've ever had), saffron-yellow pillows of agnolloti stuffed with braised lamb shank on a bed of tomato ragu (incredible) and, for dessert, a pairing of homemade sorbets. I also tried my friend Rika's prosciutto and fig pizza which is her favorite and a seasonal specialty. Todd English has restaurants all over the world at this point (I ate at the Beacon Hill branch of Figs while in Boston over the summer) so it was nice to find this outpost (and in a hotel no less) delivering such quality. The next time I'm in New York lunch at Olives may be my idea.

Olives
W Hotel, Union Square
201 Park Ave South (at 17th St)
(212) 353-8345

No comments: