The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Pinkberry, LA and New York


After what turned out to ultimately be a quixotic drive across town to a meeting that got cancelled while I was waiting for it to start, I decided that a stop to finally try Pink Berry, the Korean frozen yogurt place poised to soon multiply across LA, would be a good way to rescue the afternoon. I can never get enough fro-yo but this, like most all desserts for me, always means chocolate. Pink Berry prides itself on offering only two flavors, Green Tea and Original, and since I'm not typically a fan of the flavors used widely in Asian desserts (you can keep all your lycheess and dorians), I was slightly disappointed not to find my favorite flavor on offer. A few bites into my small cup of Original was enough to change my mind. The taste is fresh, not too sweet and slightly tart. It reminded me very much of a lemon cream or perhaps the taste of Key Lime Pie. This being LA, I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised to find they have their own doorman, the better to manage what I've heard can be a line that normally snakes down the sidewalk. What next, a valet?

Pink Berry
868 Huntley Dr (just south of Santa Monica Blvd)
West Hollywood

UPDATE:

I musn't forget to mention that I stopped in at the first NYC branch of Pinkberry for a taste of home back in the fall. There's no doorman yet, much less lines down the street, but the place did have a few mid-day customers. It's on a stretch of W 32nd St lined with Korean barbecue restaurants. I understand that stores in the upper 80s, Soho and Chelsea (naturally) are also set to open, among others. I guess if Pinkberry can make it in WeHo, they can make it anywhere.

Pinkberry
7 W 32nd St (between 5th and Broadway)

1 comment:

Yogurt Fanatic said...

FRUCCI YOGURT is so much cheaper and tastier than Pinkberry.
I recommend their pina colada~! Unbelievably delicious!!!
check out WWW.FRUCCIYOGURT.COM