The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Loteria Grill, Farmers Market

While a more obvious choice than I typically like to post about since it's in the shadow of the Grove and so hardly off the beaten path, I must finally confess in writing my love for this food stand in the 3rd & Fairfax Farmer's Market. Since I'd eaten there with Jon and Jason just last weekend and so had satiated the normal hankering for my favorite-in-LA chicken enchiladas suizas in a tomatillo sauce with a side of black beans and arroz verde, I was free on a visit yesterday with my cousin to try something new. She and I split a plate of chile rellenos and I also ordered two tacos, one of cochinita pibil and one of papas con rajas poblanas. Actually the chile relleno was supposed to be her lunch, but the plate of food was so huge it wouldn't have been right for her not to share. Turns out there were actually two chiles. The first appeared to be the typical battered and deep-fried chile poblano, but inside it was filled with cheese and what we think was sauted squash and onions. The other was a firey dried red chile filled with black bean puree and covered in a light cream sauce. Piled along side the two was a picadillo of ground beef (?), plump raisins and slivers of almonds. Everything was delicious and the presentation really looked amazing too.

I'll admit to having eaten the taco of potatos and poblano peppers with a hint of crumbled Mexican white cheese at Loteria before so that wasn't a new one for me. I loved it again. However, I'd never tried their cochinita pibil and am happy to report that it was fantastic and not as greasy (or admittedly quite as rich and tasty) as the James Beard Award winning standard served at Yuca's on Hillhurst. Tiny slivers of pickled red onion topped the shredded pork taco which is just the type of attention to detail that keeps me coming back for more at Loteria.

Loteria Grill
Farmer's Market
3rd and Fairfax Aves

No comments: