The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Frank

Admittedly, dining after 10 pm is much easier to do in New York than it is in LA. Still, one doesn't want to eat just anywhere. So when trying to think of a place to go for a late dinner, somewhere lively but where I could sit alone, my thoughts turned to Frank. I grabbed a stool at the open window by the bar which perfectly framed the street scene of al fresco diners and Second Avenue passers-by. A huge arugula salad with goat cheese and a glass of chilled Rosa Giulia from Puglia made a nice starter. Rigatoni al Ragu this night was inexplicably served as rigatoni with links of Italian sausage. Refills of wine were slow to come and I had to ask repeatedly for water. Still, I get the impression that the crowd at Frank (and it was a crowd, even at this late hour) come for reasons not entirely related to the food. I'd go back for the same.

Frank Restaurant and Vera Bar
88 Second Ave (between 5th and 6th)
New York
(212) 420-0202

Frank in New York

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Frank is also wonderful on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. It doesn't get much better than insalata caprese followed by black squid ink linguine and calamari al fresco!