The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Hong Kong Deli



The first time I ate in the nearly empty Hong Kong Deli, I did so thinking I was ignoring my better judgment. Usually a restaurant without patrons is empty for a reason. Maybe it was the dim lighting, so rare for a Chinese restaurant, or maybe the convenient location on Cahuenga Boulevard almost next door to the Hotel Cafe that has kept me coming back. On a recent visit, a large bowl of wonton soup was enough for three of us to share, the fragrant, clear chicken broth and savory wontons a perfect starter course. Kung Pao beef (pictured) wouldn't have been a selection I would have normally chosen but was my favorite on a recent night. The beef was lean and tender, in a spicy sauce with the crunchy peanuts I love. Chicken with broccoli was a hit. Even the sushi which my independent-minded friend Mary insisted on ordering seemed to be first rate. (I admit, I've had the hankering and ordered it before too.) Hong Kong Deli must surely be doing a booming business in take-out or delivery since there are still rarely more than a few tables full of people. But for no-frills American-Chinese standards (and the occasional piece of albacore), it really can't be beat.

Hong Kong Deli
1643 N Cahuenga Blvd
(323) 957-1998

No comments: