The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Los Balcones del Peru



I realize I'm not breaking any new ground here as Los Balcones del Peru has been written about by just about everyone by now, but even still, it's walking distance from my office so I tend to end up eating there fairly often and it does deserve a mention here.

Even before I order I find I've eaten practically a whole basket of the warm, crusty bread our waiter brings to the table topped with the tangy, hot aji (Peruvian chili pepper) sauce that's served in a bowl on the side. The menu leads with about half a dozen ceviches and though many find the camarones a la piedra (a warm dish of shrimp in a vibrant yellow aji sauce) to be the most interesting, maybe I need to ask the kitchen to crank up the picante next time as I always find this dish to be colorful and beautifully presented but a bit bland. I absolutely love their basic ceviche de pescado, however. In this ceviche, chunks of firm white fish are marinated in lime and hot pepper and are served with wedges of boiled white and sweet potato and garnished with shredded red onion and ears of the freakishly large Peruvian corn. It's refreshing and delicious, just the way I like my ceviche, and begs to be washed down with a cold cerveza. Maybe next time I'm on my way to a movie at the ArcLight, I'll stop in for dinner and do just that.

Los Balcones Del Peru
1360 Vine St (south of Sunset)
Hollywood
(323) 871-9600

No comments: