The best food and restaurants for today. Atwater, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Thai Town, Hollywood, New York and wherever my travels take me.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Les Halles, New York

I'd had cassoulet on my mind lately what with the cold weather and all in LA so when the NY Times mentioned a few places that have it on the menu this season in New York I thought that seeking one of them out would give me some small sense of purpose while on business there last Monday night. So I made my way down to Les Halles, not thinking at first that this was Tony Bourdain's restaurant (or was at one time. I wonder if he's still cooking or if writing best selling books while traveling the world for his cable TV shows has taken over his life? Sounds pretty good to me actually.) At any rate, my friend Rika and I ordered a platter of charcuterie including a mound of rillettes and pâté which I devoured on the crusty bread. Speaking of herring with potatoes, this is what I'm talking about--deliciously oily and smokey herring fillets surrounded with sliced boiled potatoes. Finally, my cassoulet was perfect--white beans slow cooked with pork sausage and confit of duck leg. Zut alors this was good. A couple of glasses each of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and we stumbled back out onto Park Ave into the freezing night just as snowflakes were starting to fall. Not bad for a Monday night at all.

Les Halles
411 Park Ave S
New York, NY
212 679-4111

No comments: